Monday, April 6, 2009

Grandparent-Rights Bill

Jacque Evanson had raised her grandchildren for seven years when her daughter came back into the picture. Though Evanson had guardianship, her daughter simply had to petition the court to regain custody of the three kids.

The judge "strongly recommended" the children get visitation with their grandmother. Then their mom moved them to her home in Washington state. Since then, Evanson has had minimal contact with them.

Though she ultimately wants the kids to be with their mother, Evanson feels like she also should have some rights after raising them for so many years. That's why she's visited the Capitol several times over the past few months to testify on behalf of the grandparent-rights bills presented at the 2009 Montana Legislature.

House Bill 397 establishes a close-relative registry so close relatives, such as grandparents, can sign up to be notified if the state removes a child from his or her home.

House Bill 403 asks the court to consider a child's need for continuity of care along with the other criteria when determining whether the child should be placed with someone other than a parent. The bill asks the court to look at whether the child will remain in the same area, continue at the same school and other such issues when making the judgment.

Full Article and Source:
Legislature considering a half-dozen grandparent bills

More information:
Thousands of Montana grandparents are raising their kids' kids, and it isn't easy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a delimma. Grandparents pick up the ball when the parents drop it -- and they don't deserve to have the rug pulled out from under them.

Perhaps the best solution is a compromise -- grandparents keep the child (if that's what they want) and the parent gets unfettered visitaton.

StandUp said...

If Grandparents become afraid that they will eventually lose guardianship, they may become less likely to take on the responsibility.

Who loses?

The child, as usual.

Anonymous said...

It has to be heartbreaking for Grandparents to take on their grandchildren and then have those precious children stripped from their arms.

Anonymous said...

We live in missouri. We have had guardinship for two years now on our two grandkids boy age 10 and girl age 3. Both my son and daughter inlaw have been in an out of prison over drugs and other charge. The kids mom is to get out of prison in oct of this year. these kids have been put throught hell while they was with their parents. We have had the grandson in counseling for what all he was put threw. The mother has four kids age 16, a set of twins age 4 and the ones we have. she has lost custody of all of them down threw the years. My son well never grow up. still messing up. won't work drugs drinking all the time, and is in on probation and in a half way house now.he has been in prison four times now. over meth. The mother meth three times. my son made so many promises to his son while in prison. And then put my grandson threw hell when he came home. Mother got a divorce while she was in prison Got with someone else had twins. And as soon as my son got out she went back to him. two years ago they got on meth and other drugs again. The kids didn't have food to eat , lived in a house with no lights, water or gas.Grandson had to go to school dirty, Worry about his little sister everyday. didn't sleep at night because he would lock him and his sister in his room while all the drugies where in the house. scared for his sister safety. Being left at drug houses while his dad and mom was out doing their thing.when we went to court to get guardinship the judge appointed a attorney for the kids. their attorney told the judge that our grandson told him that he wanted a place where he didn't have to worry about his sister, food to eat clean clothes for school. and to be able to sleep at night without worry about roaches crawing all over him and his siter.and having to worry about what his parents would do to them on drugs.his mother was calling the house from prison to talk to the kids. The judge said to let that happen but if it started to look bad to stop the contact. Anyway she was calling.I was letting her talk to the kids. untill. there was a new kid that moved in town, that was in my grandson class at school. who life right behind us. I was letting him come over and play with my grandson, Untill my grandson told me this kid told him they like having sexs with dogs.This blew my mine. I decided it was best that he not come to our house again. my grandson mother called that night and I told her about what had happen. And she told me she knew these people, That the mother of this kid was in prison for having sex with a child.and she went to school with the kids father, And I was doing the right thing That the kids didn't need to be around these people. I called the father and told him what his son had said to my grandson, and that I thought it best that they not hang out together. He told me okay untill Brandy the mother of my grandson got out of prison. I hung up on him.The mother called me back. I told her I thought just maybe she was changing her life and for once putting her kids first. That she had agreed with everything I said and did about these people. She then told me that she started talking to this man because his daughter had just gotten mosted. And then I found out that she has been calling this man and is planning to move in with them in Oct when she get out of prison. Now I have this worry and my grandson is all upset, and worrying that she well get custody And he well have to live the life he did before. congress needs to work for the grandpartents and put the kids best interest first. their are kids being mosted, beat abursed, and killed Something needs to be done about the kids in this world.