Thursday, May 7, 2009

Commission to Stop Elder Abuse

Every year, tens of thousands of elderly Americans are abused in their own homes by care givers or in facilities where family members are paying for their care.

It’s not just physical abuse the aging generation faces. It’s also people taking advantage of their trusting nature and their money. But Ohio Attorney General Richard Cordray wants to change that, NBC 4‘s Lauren Diedrich reported.

Cordray announced the creation of the Elder Abuse Commission.

The goal of the commission is to raise awareness about elder abuse in Ohio, improve the elder justice system and identify policy, funding and programming to achieve those goals.

Cordray said the commission of various state agencies, including law enforcement, will meet regularly to discuss how to take care of seniors.

Source:
Ohio AG Creates Commission To Stop Elder Abuse

5 comments:

Sue said...

I hope they are aware that there are others, so called "professionals" bankers, lawyers, professional guardians, financial advisors, estate lawyers and judges, some of the examples are right here, on the NASGA blog!!!!

Anonymous said...

Guardianship abuse is elder abuse. I will email the Ohio AG and ask him if he realizes that.

Anonymous said...

I hope Ohio victims go to these meetings and speak up about guardianship abuse!

Anonymous said...

The idea is great. I hope the commission will be composed of people from different viewpoints of elder abuse.

tvfields said...

When I learned in April that the Ohio Attorney General's office was organizing another elder abuse commission, I indicated to its organizers that I wanted to participate. I feel that my own experience with elder abuse and my many years advocating legal reforms that are needed to curtail elder abuse should qualify me to participate. Unfortunately, the organizers of this commission responded to my request to participate by letting me know that "no individuals per se have been invited to participate". Instead, the commission will be comprised of representatives of state departments and statewide organizations, including the Ohio Coalition of Adult Protective Services, the Ohio Buckeye Sheriffs Association, the Probate Judges Association and AARP.

I am writing this to ask NASGA and its members to protest my exclusion from this commission. Ohio doesn’t need another task force like the one commisioned here in 2004, which included several members who were familiar with what I advocate and yet apparently never shared what they knew with the task force's other members or provided me an opportunity to address them directly. In fact, one of these task force members wrote me in 2005 "Personally my interest in undue influence rests with older people with diminished capacity rather than heirs", reflecting an attitude that many of us have confronted, namely that the complaints lodged by heirs are not rooted in the legal system's failure to prevent the exploitation of persons with diministed capacity.

I would like to encourage anyone not familiar with my advocacy efforts to write me (tvfields@oh.rr.com) so as to request a copy of the letter which I wrote last month to the acting assistant secretary for the Administration on Aging and subsequently copied to the organizers of this elder abuse commission.