Tuesday, May 5, 2009

In Memoriam - Frieda Eversole

Frieda Eversole - November 6, 1910 - April 25, 2009

My mother, Frieda Eversole, born November 6, 1910, passed away on Saturday, April 25, 2009 at the age of 98-and-a-half. One of six children, mother was also a fourth cousin to Abraham Lincoln, of which she was justly proud. She spent the first fourteen years of her life on a farm in southern Alabama, and then moved to Birmingham, AL, eventually attended and graduated from college during the Great Depression. She married my father, Finley Pratt Eversole, a year later. I was born a year-and-a-half into their marriage and am their only child.

Throughout her life, mother was an astonishingly hard worker, compassionate and generous to all around her, always thinking of others first. After World War II she spent at least a year gathering clothing and bedding and shipping it to victims in war torn countries in Europe. She loved to entertain and was an exceptional cook. She had an infectious smile to the very end. Only after my father’s passing in May 1999 did I discover her quick wit and amazing sense of humor. Just one example: a couple months before her death, as I often did, I said to her, “I love you.” A few seconds later I asked, “Do you love me?” Her reply: “Yes. Aren’t you lucky!” Sometimes she would simply smile and say, “I love me too.”

My parents and I were close despite spending many years of our adult lives spent far apart.

Taking care of my mother the final eleven years of her life has been the greatest privilege of my life. The love she shared taught me more about love than I could have imagined possible. Letting her go is difficult on some levels, but we are spiritual beings in physical bodies, and her body had been too confining for her bright soul for some time. Now she is free. I believe the bonds of love are never broken and that the life and love we shared for this all-too-brief time will continue on. As I had hoped, I got to be alone with her in her final hours, holding her and talking to her, telling her what a good mother she had been and that our love would continue on. Part of loving is letting those we love move on when the soul decides its earthly work for this lifetime is done. I was blessed with wonderful parents.

~ Finley Eversole
Bogus Conservatorship

Women: The Movement and Elder Abuse

May 2009 ~ Guardianship abuse victims recognized during Elder Abuse Prevention Month

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very lovely tribute. I am so sorry for your loss, Finley.

Betty said...

You can tell by her lovely face and smile that Frieda Eversole was a class act.

And she was lucky enough to have a son who knew it!

Anonymous said...

Truly you were blessed, Finley. I am sorry you had to battle the conservatorship at all, especially while you were taking care of your Mom.

Of course the rats knew that you loved your mom and so she was in some way your weak point, so they knew that they could keep the heat on and hopefully wear you down.

Anonymous said...

Finley, Thank you for sharing the loving and giving life of your mom
with us. Your tribute is a wonderful way of expressing why we fight so hard when our loved ones
are 'snatched' away by the Guardianship racket ripping our family's apart and robbing us of our most important relationship(s). of

helensniece said...

Loving tribute to your Mom, Finely. My deepest sympathies for your loss.

annie mckenna said...

Dear Finley,

Frieda was lucky to be blessed with you for a son. You fought long and hard for her, against the most evil of forces. It was so good that she had you to protect her while she was here on earth. Now, at last, she has moved on to a better place. Please know that I for one am here for you if you need it.

Annie McKenna

Anonymous said...

Caregiving is the hardest and most rewarding job in the world.

Your Mother was lucky to have you, Finley. But, she knew that.

And you in turn were lucky to have the opportunity to take care of her for those years when she needed you. You will always be so glad you did.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you got to be with your Mom at her passing to help her through her final journey.

Anonymous said...

Peace to you, Finley. A better advocate, no mother could have. Thank you for sharing the story of your remarkable lives.

LPL