Saturday, September 5, 2009

Couple Charged With Stealing Mother's Money, Neglecting Her

A West Valley City couple is accused of bilking their elderly mother out of more than $100,000 while failing to care for the woman, who developed bedsores and other ailments as a result of the alleged neglect.

Corin Lynn Barker and his wife, Nadine Barker, both 60, were charged Tuesday in 3rd District Court with abusing Beatrice Barker, 90, who died in June.

Corin Barker was granted power of attorney for his aging parents in 2006 and gained control of their bank accounts, which included $40,000 in Social Security checks and other retirement savings, according to charging documents filed Tuesday.

When his father died in 2007, an insurance company paid his mother $62,241 in benefits, which went into a joint account, charges state.

West Valley City police began investigating Barker after receiving a complaint of neglect from staff at Pioneer Valley Hospital. Beatrice Barker was hospitalized in early June after losing weight and having renal failure and pneumonia, charges state.

The $102,914 of his parent's money that Corin Barker had control over dwindled to $1,829 the day of Beatrice Barker's death on June 14, charges state.

Corin Barker is charged with exploitation of a disabled or elderly adult, a second-degree felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

Nadine Barker is charged with aggravated abuse of a disabled or elderly adult, also a second-degree felony.

The couple's daughter-in-law, Angie Barker, 35, is charged with second-degree felony aggravated abuse of a disabled or elderly adult.

Full Article and Source:
Couple Charged With Stealing Mother's Money, Neglecting Her

7 comments:

jerri said...

all these vultures who didn't even wait for their loved one to die before devouring her money in record speed deserve harshest punishment to be in prison at the maximum amount of time if it were up to me they could die in prison keeping society safe

Anonymous said...

What so many NASGA members would give to have the opportunity to care for their loved one at home --- and slime like Corin Lynn Barker and Nadine Barker just throw it away.

Shame on them both.

Anonymous said...

It appears the whole family was in on it.

Poor Beatrice Barker. Death was probably a blessing for her.

Anonymous said...

Lock them all up in the same cell so all they have to look at for the rest of their lives is each other's faces.

Anonymous said...

Stories like this still amaze me. How can people be so incredibly cruel to do this - let alone to one of their very own?

Anonymous said...

The ultimate act of betrayal is targeting your own family to fill your pockets.

Obviously, no one with a bit of a conscience for this gang of thieves.

Heather said...

I learned about Beatrice's death shortly after it aired on the news. My daughter's father was her grand son. I had not been in contact with the family for many years. As they are not the type of people to try to keep in touch, and not the type of people I wanted my daughter growing up around. I was disgusted to hear what had happened to her. But I can not say that I was shocked. I had first hand interaction with these people and it really doesn't surprise me a bit. What I would like to know is this... Firstly Beatrice had more sons, daughters and grandchildren, some actually decent human beings, like Corin's eldest son and daughter-in-law... Where were they while all of this was happening? And secondly what happened to all of her things. The last time I visited her home in 2001 it was filled with many beautiful things, some of them I have no doubt were very expensive. I don't think the cash was all that went missing. My daughter and I were very saddened to learn of what happened. It just confirms for me all of the reasons I didn't want her to have contact with them in the first place. I am glad Beatrice is no longer suffering and I hope Corin and Nadine receive ample punishment for what they did to her.