Sunday, September 20, 2009

Prosecutors: Son Kept Astor in Squalor

The son of the late U.S. philanthropist Brooke Astor used his mother's dementia to enrich himself at the expense of her favorite charities, prosecutors said on Friday in the high-society trial.

Anthony Marshall, Astor's 85-year-old son, was charged in 2007 with grand larceny, criminal possession of stolen property and falsifying business reports tied to his handling of his mother's fortune, estimated to be worth hundreds of millions.

She died from pneumonia in August 2007 at the age of 105.

"It's just a never-ending history of lie after lie after lie by Mr. Marshall to get more of his mother's money," Assistant District Attorney Joel Seidemann told the New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan in closing arguments.

Full Article and Source:
Son Kept NY Socialite Astor in Squalor: Prosecutors

See also:
Winding Down of the Astor Trial

5 comments:

Norma said...

It may be true, but I resent the Prosecutors saying it.

Guardianship practitioners do this every day and Prosecutors aren't outraged.

Anonymous said...

I think whatever the DA and Prosecutor say has to be watered down.

They are performing. They know the world is watching.

Anonymous said...

Everytime I think of Brooke Astor living in squalor, I could cry.

StandUp said...

The Marshall trial turned into a circus.

I got so I didn't want to hear about it any more because it was all about Brooke Astor's "dementia" - she would hate that, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Truthfully, I'm rather anxious for this trial to end.....