Friday, February 19, 2010

Scott Rothstein's Mother's Tears

I had a lengthy sit-down with Scott Rothstein's mother this past week. Gay Rothstein defended her only son as you'd expect a mother would, even if her son now sits in federal detention awaiting a possible 100-year sentence after he admitted running a $1.2 billion Ponzi scheme.

Gay said she doesn't understand how or why Scott went from a legitimate attorney to a convicted criminal, betraying close friends and family along the way.

"I don't have the answers," she said. "It's not that I won't tell you the answers, it's that I have none."

Full Article and Source:
Scott Rothstein's Mother: No Answers, Just Tears

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the kindest thing to do is not ask this poor woman.
Theft and exploitation are running rampid in our country especially with the vulnerable.

Betty said...

My thoughts exactly Anon1.

Poor woman. Not too long ago she was probably as proud as can be of her son. And now...well, it's probably hard to her to get through the day without tears.

Norma said...

I wonder if Scott Rothstein gave a passing thought to what his mother would think of his scheming as he was getting richer and richer.

Yes, I feel sorry for her too.

Max said...

I guess it was just a matter of time before the press got to his mom. I hope her friends and family gather around her and give her support. Her son did this - not her. And she didn't raise him to turn out this way.

Mae Eliz said...

My companion lost $400,000 in the Pearlman Ponzi scheme. Even if it is not your life savings, it hurts terribly to lose so much!
I feel sorry for Mom, but think of all the victims of this scam. Besides my Mom taught me not to take other people's money!