Friday, June 11, 2010

'My Mother Goes Before The Judge'

My 95-year-old, 100 lb.- mother has said yes in front of a judge to placing all of her assets in a revocable trust to be drawn up by her attorney and filed with the court next week. The decision came in a dramatic courtroom finale on Thursday.
In November, my mother's long-time attorney had recommended a conservatorship as a solution to the ongoing tug-of-war involving money, power of attorney and farm issues after my bi-polar sister called the police to report my mother had been kidnapped when I took her to lunch without my sister. Since then, I've heard about many similar family incidents where conflict erupts as an aging parent begins to lose it. The ultimate hammer: If you don't hand over this or do that, we'll put you in a home.

A conservatorship, said the attorney, would allow an independent third party appointed by the court to manage my mother's assets thus eliminating money as a point of contention among the three of us. A conservatorship may be set up even though the person is competent, which is my mother's case.

Full Article and Source:
My Mother Goes Before the Judge

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be very watchful for your Mother - the vultures are circling her.

Max said...

It sounds like you're in the same position most victims of guardianship abuse go through. We think if we take it to court, the judge will do the fair and appropriate thing. And that's rarely what happens. I agree with Anonymous1 be very careful.

Holly said...

WHAT???
If your mother agrees to this she can't be competent... it's insane!
"The three of you" will regret the day your selfishness allowed money to be "a point of contention."
My advice...
KISS YOUR MOTHER GOOD BY & any inheritance you thought you might get.
You obviously don't deserve it anyway!!!

Jay said...

Read the story of my Mother, Dorothy Driesen under Iowa victims. So far the predators (one family member and nephew attorney), have been successful in dismantling an IRREVOCABLE Trust. I do believe we will eventually win that part. I could find no area attorney to take our case, which raises questions, and so after over two years and 4 3" ring binders full of court documentation, I fight on.
The predators will issolate your Mother and hang onto her and then claim she wants certain things that she never did. It is a long hard battle.