Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Convicted Embezzler is Charged Again With Theft

Alan R. Jonas, 63, of New Britain, is charged with stealing $72,000 from an 83-year-old Manchester woman who has Alzheimer's disease. Jonas had been appointed her conservator.

Assistant State's Attorney Kevin Shay told Superior Court Judge David P. Gold that Jonas is also under investigation for alleged thefts in Southington and New Britain.

According to the warrant for Jonas' arrest, $107,507 was on hand when he was appointed conservator in March 2009. By February of this year, Jonas had vanished and his wife began divorce proceedings. On Monday, Jonas said he was "out of the country" at the time.

By February, the Manchester Probate Court removed Jonas as conservator and a new conservator determined that Jonas had written $72,000 in checks to himself, but failed to pay the nursing home where the woman lived, the warrant states. At the end of February, the nursing home was owed $65,000, but there was only $21,000 in the woman's account.

In a series of e-mail exchanges with the new conservator, Jonas indicated a desire to repay the woman's account and did send a $35,000 check that cleared the bank. A second check for $38,000 did not clear.

In a June 3 e-mail to the new conservator, Jonas wrote: "I feel terrible about this whole situation, and I would have never done this if I was not suffering from significant physiological issues. I am doing the best I can to resolve this, but I am begging you to please not push me too hard or I am worried it will result in my emotional collapse and then none of this will get resolved for a while and I don't see any benefit to anyone in that."

Full Article and Source:
Convicted Embezzler is Charged Again With Theft

1 comment:

StandUp said...

Don't forget to order him to pay resitution, judge.