Saturday, December 18, 2010

TX Disability Rights Advocates to File Class-Action Lawsuit

Disability rights advocates will file a class-action lawsuit on Monday, alleging that Texas leaders have violated the Americans with Disabiltiies Act by confining some 4,500 Texans with disabilities in nursing homes.

The suit, which will be filed in U.S. District Court in San Antonio, will argue that the individuals have been segregated and not provided with treatment and services they need, according to a press release sent out this afternoon.

Among the advocates filing the suit are Garth Corbett, senior attorney at Advocacy Inc.; Rob Velevis, litigation associate at Weil, Gotshal & Manges; Mike Bright, executive director of The Arc of Texas; and Dennis Borel, executive director of the Coalition for Texans with Disabilities.

Source:
Advocates Filing Suit Over Disabled in Nursing Homes

7 comments:

Thelma said...

Glad to see some honest lawyers getting to work on this.

Jane Branson said...

Pay attention to these "Men," because they're some of the most important "Hero's" in America ! These Men have "Real Grit. "They know and understand the "Truth," that our Older Americans are being exploited, Abused and Neglected. These Men should be commended because they are willing to take a stand against the immoral deeds of those causing this abuse to our vulnerable Older Americans..God Bless Them And God Speed.

My wish is the "boys" here in Ohio will start acting like Texas "Men" and take action against the predators that are harming my Mother, Mollie Florkey and many other Older Americans that are being held prisoners, illegally in facilities where they are being abused mentally and physically.
The time is now here, Secrets are going to be revealed what our system has allowed to happen to our Older Americans. Those responsible for turning their back, walking away while our elders cried out for help and mercy will now pay for their negligence and cruelty. I will never forget when I was threatened by the social worker at the Hillsboro Ohio nursing facility, she told me, "if I didn't leave my Mother's side the police would be called and I would be arrested." My Mother shouted out, "don't make my daughter leave, she's done nothing wrong, I want her to stay. [I tape recorded this incident]. You have no idea the pain I was suffering as I was being made to walk away from my Mother's side hearing her crying and sobbing, begging me not to leave her there. Before leaving Mom's side, I knelt down beside her chair and made a Promise to Mom, "I would Never Stop Fighting for her Right to return home." Have you ever heard Your Mother cry and beg you not to leave her side....? I assure you, it will tear your heart out of your body and you will never forget it.

Holly said...

Jane:
We feel your pain and pray for public awareness and reform.
God Speed indeed!

DayBreak Ventures said...

National Disability Rights Network works to create a society in which individuals with disabilities are afforded equality of opportunity and are able to fully participate by exercising choice and self-determination.

Skilled Nursing San Antonio

Ben said...

Yea!!! I love to see this.

Connie said...

Jane, you will get your Mom. I feel it and I pray for it for you.

Anonymous said...

Hurray for these attorneys who will probably end up suffering professionally because of their actions.