Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Al Barnes Passes Before Verdict

The bitter court case over the medical care of Al Barnes ended Monday morning when the 85-year-old Scandia man died in his bed at Methodist Hospital in St. Louis Park.

His wife, Lana Barnes, awoke to a ringing phone at her farmhouse and just knew. She waited a ring, then picked up and heard the voice of Dr. Abel Tello: "I want to offer my condolences. ... "

He is the same physician who a month earlier filed a court petition to take away her authority over her husband's care.

"I lost a great companion," Lana Barnes said through tears Monday afternoon. "I can tell you that much."

Barnes died while still receiving mechanical help to breathe and eat. Officials at Methodist and Barnes' court-appointed emergency guardian had anticipated a court order Monday that would have allowed them to remove life support, but Barnes died before any such order was issued.

Full Article and Source:
For Al Barnes, Death Arrives Before Long-Fought Verdict

8 comments:

StandUp said...

My sympathies to you, Mrs. Barnes. I feel you had nothing but your husband's best interests at heart.

Barbara said...

Rest in peace, Mr. Barnes. The system won't be tugging at you any more.

Anonymous said...

We are deeply saddened with you, Lana.

jerri said...

rest in peace sympathies to mrs barnes he is at rest now

Connie said...

I am very sorry for Mrs. Barnes. I will pray for you.

Kyle said...

Your husband knows you fought for him and that's what matters. He watches you now from heaven and hopes you'll be ok.

Mary said...

I am vry sorry to read this sad news.

Sheryll said...

I will pray for the Barnes family and hope the system lets Mrs. Barnes alon.