Sunday, July 3, 2011

Mandatory Regulation of Florida Paralegals Nixed

A proposal that would force nonlawyers to register with the Florida Registered Paralegal (FRP) program before they could use the title "paralegal" has been rejected by the Florida Bar Board of Governors. At its May 27 meeting, the Board instead endorsed strengthening the FRP in an effort to attract more nonlawyers to become registered paralegals. Nonlawyers who work under a lawyer's supervision without registering will still be able to use the title paralegal.

"We received a lot of comments about this," said Greg Coleman, Chair of the Program Evaluation Committee which is charged with conducting mandatory reviews of the FRP program. "The vast majority of them, including most of the paralegals who corresponded with me, were not in favor of mandatory regulation."

Source:
HALT

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Florida Bar doesn't regulate itself very well. Why the hell should they be able to regulate paralegals?

If people had problems with a paralegal, I'm sure they could get more help from something like the Better Business Bureau than I could from the Florida Bar if I were complaining about a lawyewr!

Thelma said...

Legal secretaries do a lot of the drafting in small offices, and they're not even paid like a paralegal!

Thelma said...

Legal secretaries do a lot of the drafting in small offices, and they're not even paid like a paralegal!

Holly said...

Florida ought to regulate and over see there "Professional Guardian's" AKA known as thieves. The state's legal system as I know it is a disgrace.

Anonymous said...

I have been denied access to see my mother at Clairbridge in Pierce County , Washington. The manager has had me wait 2 + hours to visit my 88 year young loving mother of 12 children. Then I was told to leave after asking if she was aware of fall of an elderly women. She was bleeding from her head and breathing passage. I yelled for helpand after several minutes a lead employee wiped injured women named Barbara and told another employee if anyone seen this fall. I again said she hit her head hard on the mason flooring. She could not restain herself of fall. I was 10 feet away. The lead employee told the other employee "I think we should do her hair". After telling the manager of this head trauma she told me to leave. THis was after 2 hours of waiting to she the mother that loves me dearly and I love her dearly. THe next week Thursday, July 7th I again tried to visit my mother and the managment team said that they decided that I was not allowed to visit this day either. I have made several comments of violent, abusive, and injury complaints to the manager and now I am not allowed to visit even a mother that can not get out of bed as she said. I have heard several comments from manager regarding residents. Even a statement while she talking like on the phone 15 feet from me sitting , saying "taking her to the morge" I have seen 20 - 30 black eyes in this facility the last year, cant's take it anymore, Please help! Jeff