Friday, April 5, 2013

Terri Schiavo's Brother, Bobby Schindler, Working to Help Others

By now, eight years later, the details and debate over his sister's situation - her diagnosis, her prognosis, her wishes, her autopsy - are no longer that important to Bobby Schindler.
For him, one thought dominates. Terri Schiavo deserved to live.

Schindler now heads a growing foundation to help others in similar situations. Every year since her death, they've held a "Terri's Day" of remembrance.

This year, the Terri Schiavo Life & Hope Network has moved from Florida to the Philadelphia area, where both the Schindler and Schiavo families are from, and the event has grown.

At 5 p.m. Friday, Archbishop Charles J. Chaput will celebrate a Mass dedicated to Terri Schiavo at the Cathedral Basilica of SS. Peter and Paul. Sarah Palin will speak afterward at a fund-raising dinner at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown. A ticket is $150, and 350 have been sold; $25,000 gets you a visit with Palin, but no takers so far, Schindler said.

Terri Schiavo died March 31, 2005, after 15 years in what doctors termed a persistent vegetative state. Her case was marked by an excruciating public family battle that traversed the courts, prompted an unprecedented session of Congress, drew the attention of the Vatican, and inspired countless Americans to complete "living wills" spelling out what care they did - or did not - want in the event of severe injury or illness.

Her husband, Michael, said she would not have wanted to live this way. Her parents and siblings said she would have chosen life, no matter what.

It is a decision that daily is facing many families, although rarely in such a public arena. Mostly, it's in a hospital conference room with a box of tissues on the table.

Schindler, 48, a former math and science teacher in Florida, thinks many patients are being warehoused. Last year, the foundation established a Center for Disability in the Public Square - a data-gathering and information-sharing network. In his office, he has a sketch of a rehab facility he would like the foundation to build, although he concedes it is likely a long way off.

The foundation, begun in 2000, has seen its revenue grow steadily, from less than $20,000 in 2005 to nearly $700,000 in 2011.

That year, contributions were bolstered by a $100,000 prize from the Gerard Health Foundation, a pro-life philanthropy in Natick, Mass., that praised the Schiavo network for helping 1,000 families, and giving them "safe haven amidst the pressure of the so-called 'right to die' movement."

One of them is Sara Harvey, of Horseheads, N.Y., just north of the Pennsylvania line. She has been battling officials over her husband, Gary, who has been in a persistent vegetative state for nearly seven years, after falling down steps and suffering a traumatic brain injury.

A judge had named the county Gary Harvey's guardian in 2007, and in 2009, officials planned to remove his feeding tube. Sara Harvey contacted Schindler, who has petitioned the court to name him a legal guardian.

No decision has been made, but Sara Harvey credits Schindler with saving her husband's life so far.  "Bobby's like an angel over my husband."

Full Article and Source:
Terri Schiavo's Brother Working to Help Others

12 comments:

Sara Harvey wife of Gary Harvey said...

Here is an example of what my husband has to endure. My husband has been in the ICU due to another life threatening incident.

I have asked for the “new rules” in writing on Wednesday, in order for me to comply with “their rules,” I must know what they are right? Theresa Duffy the ice queen who is employed at St. Joseph Hospital (607-733-5641) who has been very rude even before my husband was ever admitted in that “Catholic Hospital” informed the nurse that there were “new rules” and she would have to get with Rebecca Kelley ( APS) and that I would get them the next day.

Thursday I asked for the “new rules”. Theresa Duffy rudely and a tone that would freeze hell over in front of my husband accused me that I knew the “new rules” and proceed with her ICY tone in front of my husband that I am “ ALLOWED ONE KISS AND NO CONTACT” I am not allowed to touch my husband.

15 minutes before my visit ended on Thursday, Rebecca Kelley came in to “observe” my visit. She took the hired guard aside after my visit ended. My guess is to inform the contracted agency that the county hired to not speak to me or get friendly. My husband enjoys listening to my voice and has always enjoyed being in the social environment whether it is reading a book or chatting about life itself.

To date on the Comissioner's “watch” my husband has been bruised, neglected and suffered at least 15 bed sores. On the commissioner’s watch, my husband came to near death at least 4 times; and one of those times, her unlawful designee APS even petitioned the court to terminate his life. And yet, I am treated as if I am the danger to my husband. The nonsensicality of this sad situation and the resultant harm to my husband is very evident to everyone but apparently the commissioner, & APS.

Is this uncalled for rudeness in front of my husband that APS, and Theresa Duffy inflicts on my husband based on the fact that I “hot lined” the hospital? Their chosen care providers. Who are they really trying to protect? I wish this blog had downloads so you could hear Theresa Duffy’s tone. You would be outraged.

As of January 14, 2013, one of the ever-changing rules prohibits me from touching my husband or caressing his hand. Coincidently this took place when the county contacted my place of employment wanting private and personal information about me and my place of employment would not provide them that personal and private information.

I am told this “rule” is because of “fear of skin breakdown” (do they not bathe my husband with the ruff wash clothes and starchy towels? We all know what hospital linens feel like) and yet the commissioner’s chosen care providers since that very date have injured my husband on his head several times, injured his toe, pulled out his Hickman catheter, surgery, life threatening infections that came from the hospital where he was admitted to the ICU, and my husband has gone without safety protection since his admittance back to the SNF (two days now) at the very same “Catholic Hospital” St. Joseph Hospital.

These are one of many reasons why Bobby Schindler should be my husband’s guardian. I just do not understand why my husband’s appointed attorney Kevin Moshier (607-271-9262) would oppose Bobby Schindler. It is quite obvious who he is representing and that is not my husband or his client.

Who wants to bet the rules will change after this posting? Who wants to bet my visits will end?

Jane said...

Sounds like a HOSTILE environment that your husband in in Mrs. Harvey.

How does that benefit or what Mr. Harvey's wish would be if he were able to voice his wishes?

David said...

O'Bama care kicking in.

Diane said...

Government control...what every American wants in their life!

guns, liberty and life!

Sara said...

I asked Rebecca Kelley yesterday what drugs my husband is on out of concern that he drastically changed.

She replied, " I am not here to answer your questions, I am here to observe".

3 security camera's, at least one nurse watching on the TV monitor at the nurses’ station, a hired guard and Rebecca.

From: "Kelley, Rebecca"
To: "gsharvey1@verizon.net"
Sent: Monday, April 1, 2013 11:34 AM
Subject: re: GH visitation

Hello Mrs. Harvey,

I have been told that there is a possibility that Mr. Harvey will be moved to the SNF within the next few days. (redacted) I have been told that the SNF unit will accommodate it as well. (redacted)

Rebecca

What is to accommodate? Visiting hours are 11AM -8PM....why is my husband treated different than any other patient at that Catholic Hospital? Is this not discriminatory?

StandUp said...

Pray with everything you have that Bobby Schindler is allowed to be appointed Gary Harvey's guardian.

Thelma said...

The Harvey case points out the many wrongs that can occur in bad guardianships.

Sara said...

Gary wants you to know this....7/12/12 from Attorney Donald Thomson after 6 weeks the visits were stopped because I took a picture of a bedsore on my husband and reported it to the proper authorities. And who gets punished?

7/12/12
PROTOCOL
1. Visitors are not to touch any equipment in the room for any purpose.
2. Visitors are not to provide any hands-on care -- whether a nurse asks or not.
3. Mrs. Harvey may kiss her husband, one time per visit, on the cheek or hand, and
may hold his hand above the sheet/blanket with all such contact to be plainly visible
to the supervising monitor.
4. No other visitor contact is allowed.
No hands on interference by the monitor is requested or expected if any deviation from
these rules occurs. Instead a verbal direction to stop should be clearly given and the incident
immediately reported to the nursing staff who will determine if that visit is to cease. Any
deviation from these rules may result in modification or suspension of the visitations until the
Commissioner’s designee has the opportunity to meet with the visitor and C.I.S. to clarify the
situation so as to afford proper protection of Mr. Gary Harvey, the Commissioner’s ward.
In the event the monitor needs to leave the room for any reason, either a nursing staff
member is to replace the monitor or the visitor will need to return to the lobby until the
monitor is ready to again assume duty.

Gary Harvey would say said...

This is what Gary would say to Chemung County and his attorney Kevin Moshier.

I love my wife and would like to be with her not you. Why do you treat me this way? May God have mercy on your souls. I see and hear what you do and you all seem to forget that I am alive. I need help and rehabilitation. Why don't you let me have that? Why do you keep me in this dark place, isoloated from the people I love and who love me? Mr. Moshier why did you seperate me from my wife?

There is more to say but I must rest and get my strenght back and continue to fight so that I may some day be in the loving arms of my wife and people who care for me.

Kim said...

I can't imagine anything much more arrogant than human beings thinking they have the right to decide someone should die.

Sally said...

Mrs. Harvey, my heart breaks for you. It certainly sounds like your husband's guardian is drunk with power and ego. I will never get over how cruel people can be.

If we all just lived by the golden rule, we'd be so much better off.

Your husband's guardian wouldn't want a member of his family treated this way, and yet for some reason, it's acceptable to treat your husband badly. Shame on them all.

Sue said...

Bobby is a stand-up sincere person who deserves recognition from the court. The courts scare the HELL out of me, absolute final decisions based on what? Gary belongs in a better place. Sara deserves to visit her husband at her convenience without a guard watching every movement. This is so SICK and TWISTED I'm ashamed to be an American when I read outrageous news items. I hope the unknowing will pay attention because we will be reading their stories.