Saturday, November 23, 2013

Allentown woman sentenced to state prison for betraying 'guardian angel' Marlene Fowler


An Allentown woman sentenced today to state prison for stealing $1.15 million from late philanthropist Marlene "Linny" Fowler missed her chance to try and explain the deceit to her benefactor, and apologize.

Shawnta Carmon, 32, has been in Northampton County Prison on theft and related charges since Feb. 22, two and a half weeks after Fowler died on Feb. 4 at age 73.

"I never got to say sorry. Not only am I sitting in a jail cell and it's beating me up for what I did, it's beating me up that I never had a chance to explain. I never will," Carmon said today in court.
Northampton County Judge Emil Giordano sentenced Carmon to three to six years in state prison followed by nine years' probation.

Carmon became emotional as she explained to Giordano how she deceived Fowler, who made her mark helping the region's residents with the fortune of her late father, UPS chief executive Harold Oberkotter.

Carmon said she knew Fowler for decades through Fowler's well-known generosity. As a teen, she had been shot in the mouth and Fowler, she said, was the one who donated the money for her life-changing operation to repair the damage. After that, they were like family, Carmon said. Fowler was among the first to hold her four children when they were born, she said.

Full Article and Source:
Allentown woman sentenced to state prison for betraying 'guardian angel' Marlene Fowler

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

State prison? I think that's appropriate.

Bess said...

Do they ever apologize? I guess they do from time to time, but it's so rare to see a exploiter apologize --and probably rarer for that person to really mean it.

I think I've become cynical.

Tom said...

I join in saying "good!"