Rana and I will be making the rounds to our legislature in Carson City.
We also promise to let you know which blow us off.
The Vegas Voice has proposed five very simple, easy reforms that would resolve a great deal of this guardianship scandal.
1. Repeal the requirement that a family member must be a resident of Nevada to be appointed as a guardian.
2. Family members and/or those named in a power of attorney, joint bank account, trust or will be given preferential standing over a private guardian in the appointment of a guardian.
3. Establish a cost effective, transparent and consistent process to define the mental competency of the senior. A neurologist in conjunction with the senior’s primary physician should be required for guardianship to be approved.
4. Mandate a complete and accurate initial inventory of all assets, as well as quarterly filing of all financial expenditures - with enforcement penalties for non-compliance.
5. Establish an independent commission or authority to audit and enforce financial accountability of the senior’s estate once any guardian is appointed.
Full Article and Source:
The Vegas Voice: Special Report, Part II: Now Get Angry