Friday, June 2, 2017

Our view: Elder Abuse Awareness Day

World Elder Abuse Awareness Day is Thursday, June 15. On that day, communities across the world will sponsor events to highlight the growing tragic issue of elder abuse. One such event is being planned in Jefferson County.

On June 12, from 2 to 3 p.m., the public is invited to attend the Jefferson County Elder and Vulnerable Adult Abuse Interdisciplinary Team meeting at the Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) of Jefferson County, 1541 Annex Road, Jefferson. Speakers will include Lauren Hamvas on the Elder Rights Project and Sue Konkel and Sue Torum on the Dementia Care Training for Crisis.

It is a shame we have to even talk about elder abuse, let alone have programs to bring attention to the situation.

Elder abuse can be prevented if everyone would treat older Americans with respect and care, according to Sharon Olson, ADRC division manager in Jefferson County.

Every day in the United States, 10,000 people turn 65 years of age. And that trend is going to continue for the next 20 years. Demographics are shifting and soon there will be more elderly people in the U.S. than ever before. At the same time that the population is growing, a startling number of elders face abusive conditions, Olson said. Every year an estimated 5 million or 1 in 10 older Americans are victims of elder abuse, neglect or exploitation. And that’s only part of the picture, she added. Experts believe that for every case of elder abuse or neglect reported, as many as 23.5 cases go unreported.

Elder abuse can be physical, emotional, financial and sexual. Elders who are abused are twice as likely to be hospitalized, four times as likely to go into a nursing home and three times as likely to die. Most abusers are family members, although trusted professionals and complete strangers may also target older adults, Olson said.

During June, a banner promoting the Awareness of Elder Abuse will be displayed in front of the Jefferson County Courthouse along with purple pinwheels that represent the number of cases the Jefferson County Adult Protective Services Unit responded to in 2016.

Learning the warning signs of abuse and knowing how to report is another step toward prevention. Adult Protective Services in Jefferson County can be reached at 920-674-3105 or any local police department can be contacted for assistance and information on elder abuse.

Full Article & Source:
Our view: Elder Abuse Awareness Day

2 comments:

sonony9@ said...

My name is Julie Denton a fiduciary here in marin county California controls all my assets you have this individual on your top wanted list for adult abuse her name is Caren schmierer she manage to financially ruin me by holding my mail that where bills until they went to collection's as a way to make me look.illresponsable also at the mediation the judge asked me if Caren.could go into my safety deposit box & I said no i did not want her to touch that box yet went into it anyway & stole items such as coins and Jewelry and replaced the coins with Susan B Anthony Dollars my dad would have never put such a thing in our box like that she has refused to dispersed all personal property to me from my house in Tiburon even my own property she has distroid my credit so bad i now have ulcers from it she has manage to slander my name medically & somehow mantage to document it in a way that any time i try to see a docter a dentist or any tipe of physician im treated very rudely because of what she put in my medical file im not conserved at all yet is still controling my finances she has managed to destroy me in every way conceivable she even turned me into the Franchise Tax Board I could never get any kind of credit ever again in my life because of what she has managed to do to me I am begging and pleading for your help please I need you guys to help me I can't take this anymore she won't give me my property she won't give me my life back she is even slandered my name to my Harbor Master here at the boat docks where I live in Sausalito California Karen markets the fact that because she's in court all the time on various probate matters she can just do whatever she wants to her clients and think it's okay because she can get away with it she even put a restraining order on me so I can't go to her office anymore my dad was a federal court judge and my mom was a market researcher they both worked hard all their lives to provide for me and to give me something secure when they died and this woman is managed to take all this over and is ruined me financially and I can't do anything anymore I'll never be the person I was thanks to her and her manipulative power she has relatives in the court system that backer she violates her fiduciary Duty and does not do what is in my best interest at all she does the total opposite she has violated her fiduciary duties so bad that she should be stripped literally of her fiduciary Powers she should not remain as a fiduciary at all this woman needs to be stopped thank you for reading my letter I hope that you could find it in your heart to send somebody my way to help me because I'm in dire straits here thank you for your time Yours Truly Julie Denton my address is 800 Waldo Point Harbor gate 6 Road Sausalito California 94965 my number is 415 532 6885

NASGA said...

Hi Julie,

Please consider joining NASGA. We aren't lawyers and we can't help you in the way you need and we hope you do have a good lawyer to vigorously fight for your wishes and needs. But, we do understand what you're going through and the horrible stress and drain of it and how it chances you as a person for the rest of your life.

Join by going to this link: http://stopguardianabuse.org/join-nasga/