Sunday, February 19, 2023

People Do NOT Want To Live In Group Homes

by Eric Goll

You might agree with me, or you might disagree with me.

BUT, you must consider the truth of the living environment and experience of the person when we group people with disabilities and force them to live together.

It’s also helpful to hear straight from someone with lived experience, so here’s what a person shared with me about their experience living in a group home:

“I have a developmental disability and have lived in an extremely toxic group home. People who are placed in group homes don’t have the right to pick and choose whom they get to live with, which can create hostility.

I have been yelled at by both staff and roommates, as well as assaulted by roommates. After leaving that group home, I chose to find my place to live with minimal support.

To this day, I have never looked back. I have the freedom to do what I want and eat what and when I want, and if I ever decide I want a roommate I will have the freedom to choose whom I want to live with me.”

Click the video below to learn why group homes create a poor living environment, and how you can create a better living environment and home for your loved one.

Full Article & Source:
People Do NOT Want To Live In Group Homes

No comments: