Saturday, December 14, 2013

ABC Action News I-Team: Al Katz Center Educates and Fights Against Abusive Professional Guardianships.

Last week, the I-Team was there when 99-year-old Willi Berchau was released from Florida's guardianship program after a three-year court battle.

The I-Team has learned that a local non-profit group has been established to assist other families in avoiding or getting out of court-ordered guardianship.

“It is vast and it is deep,” Beverly Newman said, when asked about how big of a problem was posed by Florida’s professional guardianship program.

“It is an industry with layers of individuals who are profiteering from elders,” she said.

Newman reached out to the I-Team after our investigation into Florida's professional guardianship program.

We've uncovered instances in which judges disregard written wishes of families, then gave control over their lives and finances to professional guardians.

Newman said the same thing happened to her.

“I walked into a land mine I did not imagine,” Newman said.

In 2009, Newman's father Al Katz became sick and was admitted to a Sarasota hospital.

Katz, a Holocaust survivor, was  a snowbird from Indiana.

Newman and her husband left Indianapolis and drove straight to Florida as soon as they heard Katz had become ill.

“We assumed, as his family and his caretakers for eight years, that we should be able to pick him up. No way,” said Newman.

Katz, instead, was appointed a professional guardian by the courts.

Records show the guardian sought and received a "no contact order" preventing Katz's family from taking him home.

“We had no ability to speak to him, visit him. So my father, of course, thought he was abandoned,” Newman said.

Full Article, Video, and Source:
Sarasota non-profit educates, fights against abusive professional guardianships

See Also:
NASGA - Al Katz, IN/FL Victim

NASGA - Debbie Woodward, FL Victim>/a>

NASGA - Marie Lubowski Winkelman, FL Victim



13 comments:

Kathleen said...

There are many stories in Fl. like this. My mother is under a professional guardian, my mother is isolated,and medicated. I am only allowed 1 visit per week and 2 calls. My mother never leaves the facility not even for a ride in the car. What has been done to her and others is DISGRACEFUL and HORRIFIC ABUSE!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!

Sissy said...

I just love that I-Team and appreciate every report they do. The sun is shining bright in FL!

Anonymous said...

This has been done to my husband, he has been totally cut off from any contact with me his wife of 17 years, done by his daughter who hired a professional guardian now the professional guardian has started the feast!!

Tanya said...

You're doing God's work, Ms. Newman. Thank you.

honeybear said...

I am so happy the I-Team continues reporting on guardianship abuse. Florida victims have hope that change is coming and that the I-Team won't stop until it does.

Thank you I-Team, Adam Walser, NASGA, and Beverly Newman.

StandUp said...

Go Action News I-Team!

Anonymous said...

This is such encouraging news! A huge thank you once again to ABC I-Team, Beverly Newman, and of course, NASGA. My contribution with a success story will now depend on me overcoming my fears of retaliation from the team of evil, greedy, slimebags that did this to precious loved one. I've been often threatened, and almost arrested trying to save her. Of course the guardian is a liar, and of course the ward is isolated (for her protection.) There are many details I can't tell you here, but I will say the textbook ingredients have taken place that define all the horrid lawlessness guardianship abuse has become. I'm looking for some more ammo to fight this case, so I'm asking anyone from Pinellas Cty. Fl. if they have been also victomized by guardian, Teri St. Hilaire and her team of cockroaches? Please speak up with any info that could help. There is power in numbers. Help me to help us all. These criminals are kidnapping and murdering our loved ones, and the system is pretending they don't see a thing. WHAT A DISGRACE!!!

Barbara said...

I am impressed, Beverly! And I know your father watches you now with great pride!

Emma said...

Kathleen, I'm sorry. It's not right for the guardian to treat your mother this way. I hope you get justice.

Rocky said...

I'm very sorry for you. I mean that so much because I'm the guy who comments all the time about my loved one being kidnapped here in Pinellas Cty. Let's pray for each other okay?

Finny said...

What a legacy for Al Katz!

Friend said...

Thank you, I-Team, Beverly Newman and everyone who has voiced even just one comment against guardian abuse. The disease is systemic and world-wide; BUT, "It is better to light just one little candle, than to stumble in the dark. . .if everyone lit just one little candle. . ."