Monday, September 7, 2026

Jury finds Moraima Montano guilty of fraud, forgery, and exploitation of elderly

Prosecutors accused Moraima Montano of forged checks, unauthorized transactions, collecting payments after a patient died, and even stealing a piano from a client.


Author: Bill Eaves, Sam Huerta, Preston West 

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — A jury has found Moraima Montano guilty.

Montano was charged with financial abuse of an elderly person involving between $30,000 and $150,000, a second degree felony; theft of property valued at $300,000 or more, a first degree felony; five counts of exploitation of a child, elderly person or disabled person, each a third degree felony; and burglary of a habitation, a second degree felony.

According to 3NEWS Chief Photographer Preston West, one of her victims was brought into court in wheelchair. He testified to the deplorable conditions he lived in while living at a couple of Montano’s facilities, describing it as "rat infested". Another woman testified Montano defrauded her late husband and took 65,000 from him, claiming it was for funeral expenses.

One of  the witnesses testified that, up until a week ago, the defendant was using a handicap placard belonging to an in-law that passed away back in 2022. He said he took pictures of her vehicle parked in handicapped parking at the Nueces County Courthouse last week, as she was a defendant in this trial. She got out of the vehicle in high heels and has no notable handicaps, he said, adding that he was surprised she was still using the illegal placard. The defense didn’t ask any follow up questions.

On Tuesday, the nephew of a patient who died in 2025 took the stand and described the moment he realized someone was trying to discharge his aunt from Alameda Oaks Nursing Home and move her into Montano’s privately owned facility.

That’s when he took a tour of it.

“It took me about two minutes to realize it was not a good place," he said. "It was dark, gloomy. The room she was supposed to be in, there was a tenant there. I remember feeling anxiety and fear for my aunt Kim."

He also testified that funds had noticeably been taken from his aunt’s trust fund and Social Security account.

Montano was the last to take the stand on Thursday, where her lawyer Mark Gonzalez asked her why she believes the jury should consider a shorter sentence than a longer sentence for her crimes.

“What I would say is that if I caused any harm in any way or any form, I’m sorry," Montano said. "I never had bad intentions. I tried my best, and I got overwhelmed because I was also trying to help people who didn’t have any money. I didn’t want to leave people out in the streets. It didn’t happen that way.”

During her statement, she mentioned that the trial had derailed a potential singing career.

“I never told the judge. I’m a rising star. When this happened to me, I was going to record an album.”

Montano’s husband, Manuel Lozano, was called to the stand Wednesday before the jury began deliberations.

Prosecutor Lesleigh Morton, an assistant attorney general assigned to the Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, questioned Lozano about patients under Montano’s care who were affected by her actions.

Morton also challenged how much Lozano knew, pointing out that he spent much of that time working and living outside Corpus Christi.

“The defendant was the one running the homes," she said. "You are not the one on trial here. I want the truth to be said, and that is why we have the evidence. I have the jury here, and they have heard everything. We just need to get through this so we can make a decision.”

Last week Morton questioned the chief financial officer of CHRISTUS Spohn and an employee who works in physician integration and accreditation compliance.

Montano’s attorney, Mark Gonzalez, questioned the witnesses about statements involving Unique Living LLC, a group home business connected to Montano.

During questioning, CHRISTUS Spohn Chief Financial Officer Becky Rios disputed how her testimony was characterized.

“I did not say ‘defrauded me.’ You are putting words in my mouth,” Rios said. “I said payments to her totaled $236,000 and change.”

Witness testimony also focused on text messages involving a patient who had died. Prosecutors allege Montano continued collecting checks connected to the patient after the person’s death.

Roxanne Jenkins, who works in physician integration and accreditation compliance at CHRISTUS Health, questioned a draft for more than $4,000 connected to the deceased patient.

“What is the point of the draft in the amount of $4,000-something for a deceased individual?” Jenkins said. “That should not have occurred.”

Previous investigation reports detailed allegations of forged checks and unauthorized debit card transactions. Montano was accused of using clients’ money for purchases they did not authorize and allegedly stole a piano and other items from her victims. 

Punishments are being decided right now. 3NEWS will provide updates as more information becomes available. 

Full Article & Source:
Jury finds Moraima Montano guilty of fraud, forgery, and exploitation of elderly 

No comments: