Saturday, June 26, 2010

Hackers Hack Lawyer's Trust Account

It was a typical Monday at the office for Kimberly Graus, until she made a chilling discovery. Someone hacked her computer, gained control of her passwords, and emptied $35,000 out of her trust account.

“It is horrible,” said Graus, a sole practitioner in Bradenton who has been working feverishly since the May 10 heist to mitigate the damage.

“These unauthorized wires were sent from my bank account through my bank’s online system, which has three layers of password logins that must be made before a wire can be sent,” Graus said.

“The bank says my IP address was the source of the wire order, but since I did not do it, it is likely that someone hacked my system and stole my passwords as I logged them in.”

“If someone hadn’t been watching over me, it could have been $450,000,” Graus said. “As it stands now, in all I will have lost $10,000 for the one that got away, the $1,000 or so it will cost me for the computer forensic analysis, and the cost of a new laptop I have to buy to solely handle my banking.”

Full Article and Source:
Hackers Loot Lawyer's Trust Account

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that's what really happened?

Lou said...

The obvious corruption in Florida's legal system with voluntary participation of many, many lawyers... I'd have to agree with anonymous asking the question...
"Are you SURE that's what really happened?

Betty said...

Perhaps bad guardians should be renamed "hackers" too.

I am sorry this happened. Hackers could be spending their brilliance doing something good for the world instead of this rot.

Anonymous said...

She has a little inkling of how victims feel...