Wednesday, August 24, 2011

In That Cold Room of Isolation: The Case of Gary Harvey

Sara Harvey is the Horseheads, NY woman who is desperately fighting to get her husband Gary home.

Gary fell down the basement steps at his home in January 2006 and suffered a traumatic brain injury. Since the accident, he has been in either a nursing home or the hospital. Being under the authority of Chemung County, NY, who was involved in a so-called ethics committee decision to petition to starve & dehydrate him to death, Gary has been basically isolated and allowed only restricted (and very limited) visitation from his wife and friends.

Sara wants her husband to receive a second opinion — an independent second opinion — and for Gary to have every chance possible to recover to whatever level he is able. She has, after all, repeatedly seen him be meaningfully responsive in his interactions with her and others. But those in control of Gary refuse to acknowledge this fact while at the same time refusing to allow him to receive an outside second opinion at a leading-edge brain injury hospital with much-higher-level experts. This is despite the fact that it appears over one million dollars has been spent in the past year on supposed healthcare for Gary that has not included any significant rehabilitative therapies. Sara Harvey believes that with physical therapy and a healthy dose of interaction with people that Gary knows that his quality of life will have a chance to improve drastically. She is prepared to give him that chance. She is prepared to bring him home where he would want to be.

The following is what I imagine Sara might be thinking.

* * *

Darkness threatens to fill the room, but light from the computer screen refuses to submit and flickers in a defiance surprisingly pronounced. I look at it in wonder, as the sounds begin to touch the night. The lonely night. The night where the only whispers I hear are my own.

The grandfather clock ticks away in earnest, moving towards… ever towards… the chime that will announce still another hour passed without Gary home and by my side. Another hour. Another day. Another night in aloneness and worry. How might I stand even another moment? None of this can be real. This isn’t what life is supposed to be like. This isn’t what life with Gary promised to be. What happened to that promise? What happened to Gary? What happened that night when our life together was stolen?

Memories come racing forth. I try to shove them back. I try to close my ears and my eyes and my heart. I try. I try so very hard, but all I can hear is Gary’s laughter brushing against the moment, as his breath brushes my cheek and that smile, that wondrous smile, and the twinkling of his eyes fills my thoughts. I reach out to touch his face… but my fingers touch nothing but the cold night air. They touch nothing but emptiness as his features fade into a reality that I wish not to be mine or his. How dare this all be. I shan’t allow it. I won’t. I simply won’t.

My refusal falls to deaf ears and is mocked by a fate that has no mercy for Gary or for me.

I look down the hall. The hall to where I might suppose Gary to be, if I didn’t know he was alone and isolated in the dark room so far away.

I whisper into the night, “Why?”

There is no answer.

The clock chimes with a sadness I had never noticed before.

I walk down the hall to see if by chance this has all been a nightmare, but the stairs grab me and hold my attention with a force beyond any I have ever known. This is where the nightmare began. This is where my world dissolved and Gary was taken from me and I from him. How can it be here so still, yet full of an energy so powerful it threatens to pull me into a crippling despair of taunts with the suggestion of failure determined to embrace me.

No! No! I shan’t allow the despair or the devastating fear to over-power me. I shan’t. I won’t.

I hear the little feet rushing to the bedroom and I follow the sounds of my memory.

On Gary’s pillow, I can see her sitting so proudly because she beat him to the bedroom. A soft smell of musk touches my senses and I hear Gary’s laughter as he says, “Tippy Queen of the Cats, you have done it again. You rule, your highness.”

The laughter. The happiness. The soft smell that floated around Gary presence, where did it go? Will it ever be again?

Suddenly, I can only see Gary alone in that cold room of isolation. The room where stillness devours and no loving touch is given. A room where he lays and waits and wonders, as people without compassion threatened to kill him or allow him to die, if given just that one chance to make it be. Why? Why would they want him dead? Why no second opinions allowed that might free him to a better life and can do no harm? Why? Has he perhaps become property of ransom — held hostage for insurance? When did he stop being a man with hopes and dreams and things to do tomorrow and become a room number with a DNR in place and a price tag on his life?

I can only imagine the desperation he must feel and the panic that embraces his conscious thoughts all too often.

I can only imagine, but that is enough.

My smile is not replaced by the tears I so often shed. Instead, I feel the purpose build within my heart and soul and I return to the computer with a vengeance undescribed. I return to the letters and the searches and the hope that something… someone… out there shall be the answer to bringing Gary home. Home to a place where he shall never feel isolated or lonely or unloved again.

Yes, there is something or someone out there that can bring my Gary home, if only they will.

And Gary will always know that we don’t want him to die!

In our arms he is loved!

Source:
In That Cold Room of Isolation: The Case of Gary Harvey

See Also:
Sara! Sara, Come Back! Don't Leave me Here!

JOIN Rescue Gary Harvey on Facebook

HelpBringGaryHome

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are in the process of going over this case. We cannot help you in any other way except to help publicize it. Please call 321 285 NEWS so that we can assign a writer to the case. www.SyndicatedNews.NET

Need to investigate to make sure it is legit prior to taking action.

Kim said...

Geez sounds like Kevin Moshier and the guardian have a lot to lose. Did he do a good job advocating for this man? If he did why is Mr. Harvey isolated, why is he not getting a second medical opinion…sound like Moshier was a sell out from the get go. Anyone know how I can contact this dude or the guardian?

Sara said...

All I want is my husband to care for and our marriage restored. Is that too much to ask? Some folks may not love him but I do. I am not asking you to love him. Doesn’t everyone deserve a second chance? Criminals do and my husband nor I committed no crime., but someone has and I think the residents in our county and state have a right to know what is going on with my husband and why they are not willing to let him go somewhere out of their control to help my husband. Keeping him isolated and maybe they have given up on my husband, But I haven’t. Every life is worth embracing.

Anonymous said...

the life of guadian abuse vitims direct or indirect is a long trip of sleepless nights in search of the what's and why's. No one will know the pain until the stand in the shoes

Serina said...

I can not imagine how a husband and wife endure such an unwarranted intrusion into their lives and privacy. The loss of a soulmate, the endless tears and fears, and the absloute terror this loving couple must be expierencing is horrifying.

B Inberg said...

Well isn't the isolation of Gary Harvey a way to hide the inhumane cruel treatment?

Hide the fact that Gary responds to Sara, his wife?

Gary responds to friends and family?

What are they hiding? and why?

Why is Gary being denied the opportunity to spend time with others?

jerri said...

what does gary harvey want? would he want to be examined by an expert? does gary want to be isolated left alone wondering where is everybody? does gary want to be locked away from all those who love and care about him? i don't think so conservators and guardians are supposed to act in the best interest of the ward in my opinion those who are in control of gary's life are not acting in the best interest of gary

Anonymous said...

families suffer terribly from these guardianships, often never recovering never having a chance to rebuild. Worse than any storm known to mankind

Susan said...

My heart breaks for you,Sara. Isolating your husband when he needs you most is cruel and inhumane treatment. I don't know how these people can look at themselves in the mirror, espcially knowing that they could stop it.

Karen said...

Good always triumphs. I know these people will come to the senses and do what's right for Gary Harvey. And they'd better hurry because I am sure God's not happy with them.

Carl W. said...

I have read about this case all over the internet. Seems this Kevin Moshier guy is real loser to sell is soul to the opposing side. Wonder if this guy has ever traced his family roots back in history. My guess, slave trading has deep roots indeed

Blake said...

I just bet Kevin Moshier doesn't treat his dog as badly as he allows Gary Harvey to be treated.

Tami said...

B Inberg

You would have to ask Deretha Watterson the guardian or Kevin Moshier what they are hiding?

They seem to live and thrive in same neighborhood and have the same set of friends in the county.

If they have been doing such a bang up job as said and publically stated by Brayn Maggs in his WENYTV interview what is the fear of a second medical opinion then?

Perhaps it is that county doctor who has more to lose along with his side kick girlfriend.

ooopss sorry that affair is over...She dumped him....Karen right? Sure does spread at the sand dollar?

Connie said...

I pray for Gary Harvey's captives to see the light and do right by him.

Pat said...

I was in town last year and I have to say Kevin Moshier is a lot of fun, not sure why you want to attack him like this. He is a nice man and quiet. I am actually looking forward to him at the community center when I come back for my annual public outreach conference at the Holiday Inn and I hope he will be there. Mr. Moshier would never ostracize Gary Harvey like you are alleging he has done.

Betty said...

Oh boy another reporter onto this story...You are Gaining Sara Harvey....KUTOS!!!!!

Think maybe they will interview Kevin Moshier and Deretha Watterson? or maybe even Bryan Maggs?

Rick said...

To see life and not be able to touch it.

To know love and not be able to embrace it.

To have memories and not be able to build on them.

To share a past and yet be denied the present.

To recognoze what is normal and yet exist in a state less than normal.

Guardianship, where the only certainty is uncertainty.

Welcome to our world, my world and the world of most all guardianship victims.

Kevin Moser said...

every once in a great while just for kicks I google my name to see what may come up, if anything.

Boy am I glad I am not Kevin Moshier, seems this guy is getting beat up all over the place.

Just darn glad I am not he.

Finny said...

This article is so well written and I am sure it expresses exctly how it describes exactly how Sara Harvey feels.

There are two victims here - Gary Harvey and also Sara Harvey.

I will pray for this family.

Jane said...

Hey Kevin Moser are you an attoreny by any chance? and is if so what area of law do you practice?

I sure do wish someone would get the law right and stop all this practicing...

It could save all of us hardship and money.

Anonymous said...

Pat I don't believe Gary or Sara Harvey find Kevin Moshier 'fun'. Interesting that you bring up a social encounter as an example of your observations and perception of Kevin Moshier while Kevin Moshier is denying Gary the opportunities Kevin appears to embrace and enjoy.

KARMA Kevin Moshier ~ Remember: God is watching YOU!


Pat said...
I was in town last year and I have to say Kevin Moshier is a lot of fun, not sure why you want to attack him like this. He is a nice man and quiet. I am actually looking forward to him at the community center when I come back for my annual public outreach conference at the Holiday Inn and I hope he will be there. Mr. Moshier would never ostracize Gary Harvey like you are alleging he has done.

David said...

What exactly is wrong with refusing to have a second medical opinion that is independant from county controlled government public servant agencies, the commissioner(DSS), the protectors(APS), the legal dept. the county doctor and Oh and state government agency MHLS.

Either the State is proud, foolish or just plain do not care.

Terry said...

I guess I'll find out if this blog allows cursing as I'm about to.

What the hell has happened to common sense? Why the hell isn't Gary Harvey home? Why the hell is he treated like a sack of potatoes instead of a human being?

Why the hell does his guardian treat him in a way his guardian would not want to be treated?

Why the hell doesn't the judge do anything?

Pardon my ire but this is so cruel it just makes me sick.

honeybear said...

Let Gary go home for crying out loud. Let him have an independent second opinion and all the comfort and care in the world.

Dan said...

Dakota Voice you have outdone yourself this time. This is picking up on radio shows and other web pages.

http://whatreallyhappened.com/es/content/cold-room-isolation-case-gary-harvey

Lookie here what they are saying http://lucianne.com/thread/?artnum=634978

http://1click.indiatimes.com/article/089T7nq1hf1BO?q=Brain+Injury

http://www.prolifeblogs.com/articles/aggregator.php?entry=1102576

http://www.plamero.com/term/gary-harvey

http://theintelhub.com/2011/08/24/in-that-cold-room-of-isolation-the-case-of-gary-harvey/

and lookie on a radio show.
Conservative Talk Radio - The Shad Olson Show
www.shadolsonshow.com/ · In that Cold Room of Isolation: The Case of Gary Harvey ...

Suzie said...

I wonder if Kevin Moshier ever considered his part or lets say non-part in Gary Harveys case.

For every action there's a reaction and for every reaction there is an act and for every act there are consequences. So on that note doing nothing would it not be considered the same?

Diane said...

Pat,

Your time shared with Kevin Moshier was heartfelt. Perhaps you could dig deep into his heart or soulf is he has one and find out why he sold his client out, and how many other lives he destroyed and come to share with us why he did it.

Maybe then we could find some solace or peace to his irrational, thinking.

Tami said...

Hope Kevin Moshiers sleeps at night because if this gets out he may not like the jump suits and new neighbors at that dark isolated wall behind cold steel bars on the hill.

Stan said...

follow the money............

Reggie said...

I didn't see this story posted yesterday when I did my normal routine of checking the blog as I'm drinking my coffee. It must have been posted later? I'm glad I caught it today because this story is so well done. Carrie Hutchens nailed it just like she nailed the story of what Gary would be thinking.

Why is it everyone else can see the wrong here, but the guardian and guardian's attorney? Is it that they really see it but just don't care? Or are they simply driven by ego? I wish we could hear from them openly and honestly. So many of us are absolutely baffled by this.

Linda said...

Reggie,

To answer your question it is driven by the appearance of either someone has a BIG EGO for power, or it is the money...think about it, times are hard, kids going to college, taxes going up, health care going down, gas prices soaring, no jobs...Harvey makes $$$ for them through their programs funded by the state, local and federal govt.

You see Kevin Moshier wins, Watterson wins and Maggs wins and most importantly the hospital...everyone gets paid you see.

Income for them is probably the motive.

Scott said...

Linda,
Do they earn it? HELL NO. is there accountability? HELL NO.

Do they care? HELL NO for GARY HARVRY but HELL YES if they lose their income...which happenes to be their ward Gary Harvey.

I thought I could swear since I seen someelse had, so I took my chances.

Anonymous said...

Do they have second lawyer opinions anyone know?

In this case, being a ward, does this mean that Gary Harvey is stuck with that uselss attorney piece of S*&T (what I flushed down the toilet this morning) they appointed him?

and Reggie it was posted yesterday..must be you were over at the firm having lunch.

Shirley said...

Carrie Hutchens, I take my hat off and place it over my heart. You have done a wonderful job putting this tragedy and abuse of Gary Harvey and his wife to words.

Charlie said...

What they are doing to Mr. Harvey is criminal. I hope they all go to jail for it. Maybe then they'll have time to think about humanity and the golden rule.

Tim said...

there are things I read and see in the media that just rip me apart.

Did anyone happen to see the story of the US Navy Seal's funeral where the loyal dog and man's best friend laid by the soldier's casket and would not leave?

need I say more, exceot there is no caket or dog --- but there is a man's best firend

Finny said...

Whenever I see another story on the Harvey case, I think of those who are doing this to him and wondering if they have any young children.

If they do, one day, those children will do a google search and find out what their Dad/Mom did to Gary Harvey and his wife and there will be no explanation that will make it right. They will look into their child's eyes and see disappointment.

We set an example for our children. What kind of example are these people setting for theirs?