Friday, October 24, 2014

Mother in Coma Heard Everything, Was Scared They’d Turn Off Her Life Support


Kate Allat suffered a stroke at the age of 39 and the mother spent 10 days in a coma afterwards. Now that she is past that frightful ordeal, Allat reveals in a new interview that she heard everything going on around her in her hospital room and she was fearful her life support would be turned off.

Kate Allat
Allat indicates that her mind was functioning normally during her coma but everyone around her thought she was brain-dead as she laid in her hospital bed paralyzed and unable to speak or breathe on her own. She listened in fright as medical staff discussed switching off her life support with her family.

It took two weeks before she was able to communicate with anyone, according to news reports.
LifeNews has focused on these kinds of cases before, where patients heard everything going on around them despite their comatose state. It’s another reason to oppose euthanasia and another reason why doctors and families should take their time before determining someone is “too far gone.”

“They thought I was in a vegetative state. I couldn’t move a muscle. There was no signal I was in there,” She said.

“I was on life support and they might have turned it off.”

“I couldn’t breathe for myself but I could hear conversations that I didn’t want to hear.”

Lucky for Kate, she made a full recovery, and she is urging people to remain aware of the syndrome and strokes.

She also discusses the embarrassment of being in the state.


“There were nurses that spoke over me. They lowered their expectations of me,” she told The Daily Mail.

“It’s fair to call me a control freak so to be in that situation is awful.”

“I’d be left on my shower seat for 20 minutes after a shower, naked.”
 
Full Article & Source:
Mother in Coma Heard Everything, Was Scared They’d Turn Off Her Life Support

2 comments:

Carole said...

I believe this. I am thankful this woman made it and is able to tell the rest of us what she heard.

Clarke said...

thank you NASGA. the same thing should be said about people who have suffered strokes and or in a persistent unconscious state.