Sunday, May 17, 2009

Seniors and Taxpayers Obligation Protection Act

Catching criminals, stopping Medicare or Medicaid fraud, and recapturing an estimated yearly fraud loss of $60 billion are the aim of two proposed laws introduced in the U.S. Senate earlier this month.

The Seniors and Taxpayers Obligation Protection Act (STOP) is designed to reduce or eliminate massive financial losses each year by creating fraud prevention and detection systems.

The Medicaid Accountability through Transparency Act (MAT) will require transparency in billing for services and medical equipment.

If passed, the legislation will give the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Social Security Administration the tools and authority to prevent fraud before it starts and detect waste and abuse much earlier.

Full Article and Source:
New Legislation Proposed to Prevent Medicare Fraud

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very good beginning.

Anonymous said...

Prevent it before it starts? And detect waste and abuse earlier?

I hope those things are true.

Anonymous said...

There may be a little better chance at it with Obama as Pres. I'll believe it when I see it. The states are criminal in their allowing and participating in fraudulent claims. I reported medicare fraud to Penna. Asst. Atty. Gen and he called the guardian and said to watch out for me since I did not speak well of her. She wrote that up as slander against me. His job was to follow up on my complaint instead he slandered me. I have found the whole of state officials very invested in keeping all forms of federal funding coming into state coffers _ fraudulently and otherwise. My research shows it is a long term practice for many many years. I haven't seen the fed govt. very interested in following up on complaints either. Under Bush _ people trying to do their job and stop fraud were fired.