Monday, August 24, 2009

In Memoriam - Luke Forrest Humphrey

Luke Forrest Humphrey, 23, passed away Monday, August 17, 2009, in Glen Rose, Texas. He was a graduate of Pine Tree High School, attended U.T. Tyler and worked at Home Depot before a car accident in 2005, which resulted in a traumatic brain injury. Luke's graveside services and burial were Tuesday, August 18, 2009, in Squaw Creek Cemetery in Rainbow, Texas, prior to the family's knowledge.

He is survived by his parents, Dr. William and Susan McLendon of Hallsville; sister, Kari Schneck and husband, Thomas, of Longview; brother, John Gasper; stepbrother, Will and Amber McLendon of Albuquerque, New Mexico; stepsister, Charisse and Rob Tolleson of Pasadena, California; grandmother, June Slaughter of Tucson, Arizona; father, Landy, and his family; aunts, JoAnn Bowshot and Rose Pondoff of Youngstown, Ohio; aunt, Patricia Pondoff of White Oak; cousins, Kathy, J.T. and Hailey Murphy, Nikki and Bobbie Bowshot, Scott and Shawna Bowshot, Bryan Pondoff and Tony Smith; nephew, Harrison Taylor; and best friend, Grant Thomas, who survived the accident; and his Home Depot family who loved him.

To view Luke's story go to http://salon.glenrose.net/default.asp?view=plink&id=11141&=cm1

In lieu of flowers, the family requests all donations be sent to the National Association to Stop Guardian Abuse at http://www.nasga-stopguardianabuse.blogspot.com/2009/07/guardian-troubles.html or P.O. Box 886, Mount Prospect, IL 60056.

It is the four years of mourning, the voicemail I received of my brother's death the day before my birthday and the conversation that the funeral had already taken place for me to realize what it is I am feeling.... I am thankful.

I am thankful to have had Luke in my life. Luke was a wonderful brother. He was funny, confident and full of life. Luke was a hard worker. He took pride in his appearance, his possessions and made lasting friendships. Luke had a great life, a promising future and parents who loved him.

I am thankful that I will be able to celebrate my birthday every year with him. But most of all, I am thankful for my mom and Luke's dad for making me Luke's sister because without them, I would never have known Luke Forrest Humphrey.

Fly with the angels, Luke. I love you! Your sister, Kari.

To my beloved son,

As the family knelt by your grave, we read the Bible verse that I read to you everyday in the hospital, Psalm 91.

Everyone shared a funny story about Luke. He loved to pull pranks and never forgot April Fools Day. He made funny faces in every picture he took. Luke loved life; he loved everyone. There was such a purity about him and a genuine smile for everyone. He was free spirit like his mom; he took life right in stride. He was a great sport, a team player and an athlete.

I knew as I knelt by your grave that you were in my heart. The memories of 20 years of packing lunches, going to games, the family vacation every year, going skiing-we had such happy times and no one can take away all our precious memories. Luke was there with us that day. I could feel your smiling, glowing face; I could feel the warmth of your character, and I know you are happy and free. I promised you, I will never give up the fight to have your perpetrators brought to justice.

I can feel your smiling face with me, and I feel your comfort. I know you are here with me and Bill, Kari and Johnny.

Luke, we love you, and you will always be in our hearts and minds!

Obituary of Luke Forrest Humphrey

Luke Forrest Humphrey

Guardian Troubles

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let Luke Forrest Humphrey not be forgotten.

His mother and close family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

The loss of Luke Humphrey in the prime of his life is tragic and was unnecessary.

Luke should have been home in his mother's care.

Anonymous said...

Luke was a handsome young man, Mrs. McLendon.

I am sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

He was buried before the family knew?

Do these beasts ever quit?

I am sorry, Humphrey family. So very sorry.

Anonymous said...

My prayers and deepest sympathies to you and your family. I am so sorry to hear about the passing of Luke.

Anonymous said...

The sadness of what happened to Luke Humphrey is overwhelming.

My heart goes out to the family in their time of need.

Luke blessed your life. He will always be watching over you.

Anonymous said...

Luke's suffering is over now; his family's suffering continues.

Pray for them all.

Anonymous said...

Luke lights up heaven now, just as he lit up your life.

You will see him again.

Until you do, remember that he wants you to take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry, Mrs. McLendon, that prior to Luke's death, no one notified you of his serious condition.

That was specifically intended to hurt you and it did. But the real person hurt the most was Luke. How very selfish of them to do that to him.

May he rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

My heart breaks for what this family suffered through Luke's accident.

And now, they've lost him completely.

He's in a better place. It's just that he's gone too soon.

Anonymous said...

Luke is certainly flying with the angels, Humphreys!

Anonymous said...

Your memoriam of Luke will live on, Susan and Kari.

And he will always be in your heart and mind.

I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better, but I know there are no words to relieve the pain and the deep loss.

Sue said...

Mere words cannot express my heartfelt sadness. You are in my thoughts, in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Kari, you were lucky to have such a brother. He will be with you and watching you the rest of your life, with love.

Anonymous said...

I hope this family, especially Susan, feels the love coming from all over the country for them and the sympathy from the hearts of those who cannot bear your pain with you, but wish we could so your heart would be lighter.

Anonymous said...

Luke's death is so sad and I feel bad for Susan and Luke's family.

To think that this happened to this young man is almost unbelievable.

But it did. And no one should ever forget that it did.

Mike said...

Luke suffered and died because of guardianship abuse.

May his soul rest in peace.

wisernow said...

Luke is sleeping with the Angels.

May he rest in peace.

StandUp said...

This family is going to need a great deal of strength to heal their broken hearts.

I wish there were words to make it all better but they fall short.

Love each other, Humphrey family, and cherish your memories of Luke.

You'll see him again.

Anonymous said...

So sorry for the family's pain and loss.