Saturday, December 7, 2013

ABC Action News I-Team: Willi Berchau Enjoys First Hours of Freedom From Florida's Guardianship Program!

A man who has spent years under the control of Florida's guardianship program is now free to come and go as he pleases and says it's thanks in part to the I-Team.

The cry from friends and supporters was "Free Willi,”as Willi Berchau battled a court system that he says was working against him.

 He is now out of his court ordered guardianship and is speaking out.

With a smile on his face and a bounce in his step, Willi left his assisted living center for the first time without having to ask permission to go eat pizza.

“I feel like I lost all the problems in my life,” Berchau said.

When we met Willi over the summer, he had been placed in an Alzheimer's unit by his court appointed professional guardian Patricia Johnson.

“If you stayed there any longer, you would mentally go down,” Berchau said back in August.
Berchau had been in a guardianship after he reportedly tried to sell his home for too low of a price back in 2010.

Johnson, who he had never met, asked the court to become his guardian.

“I got the letter from the court to appear in court. Once I appeared in court, I knew that they got me,” Berchau said. “And I couldn't get out.”

Willi was declared incapacitated, lost all his rights and was appointed a guardian.

After he was put into an Alzheimer's unit, we got involved. Days later he was moved to a less restrictive environment.

Last month, he was re-evaluated by a doctor, who found that he had full capacity.

“At my age, I guess I'm doing pretty good,” said Berchau, who will turn 100 in April.

Full Article, Video and Source:
Man enjoys first hours of freedom from Florida's Guardianship Program

See Also:
ABC Action News: Willie Berchau is Freed!

11 comments:

StandUp said...

I'm so happy for this man I could cry!

Finny said...

Thank you I-Team. We just can't say it enough.

Anonymous said...

Look at their smiles!

Barbara said...

We get so few of these victories but each one is a real celebration and answer to our prayers.

Matt said...

ABC Action News are my heros!

Kathleen said...

Very happy for Willie!

Steve said...

Love it!

honeybear said...

Adam Walser, you're a gem! My deepest thanks for all you've done.

Berta4949 said...

God bless this young at heart man

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news!!! Thank you a million times ABC I- Team! This situation with guardianship abuse and Pinellas County is so very disturbing to me. I just read a comment made yesterday on this site which names Cathy Christmas, an adult protective case worker, and guardian, Teri St. Hilaire that regarded a patient being raped then forced into guardianship, etc. I was a health care worker who knew the patient. Looking back at it, it does make me wonder if foul play was involved, but I can't give any specifics that might help at this time. I'll ask around and help with any new information if I can.

Diane said...

This is absolutely wonderful news!! However, what truly frightens me is this woman, Patricia Johnson who never met Willie, and the judge who approved this!!! What a huge scam they have gong under the color of law!! I am hoping they are both sued and put in jail! We need to post their pictures to warn people about them!!

Congratulations Willie!