Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Guardianship Profile: John Robertson (Michigan)

In 2014, my father, John Robertson, was diagnosed with Dementia and Alzheimer’s.

He was appointed a guardian by the court through a private agency. The court nor the other agency took the time to find relatives or find out about my father’s properties or assets. The property taxes were not paid on a vacation property near Houghton Lake, so this property was lost in a tax auction in 2015.

Also, in 2015 the court granted guardianship to a person my father did not like. He was acquainted with my father’s now deceased second wife.

It has come to pass that some how the guardian was able to take my father’s pension and social security from his bank. I was told by the court that all he had control over was medical decisions and where my father lived. From what I’ve learned from neighbors, his home was in disrepair. Every room leaked water and each had pails to catch the water. Also mold was all over the house, and the cooking stove was not working properly.

I was told by friends and neighbors that he was left to fend for himself, even though he had dementia and Alzheimer's. My father’s hard earned money was not put back into the property, nor were the taxes or utilities paid. The guardian did the least possible to ensure my father had a good living habitat.

READ MORE:
NASGA: John Robertson - MI

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is common unfortunately. Some people do this for a living. I saw a documentary. These people were put in a subpar nursing home. They lived in a beautiful home. The conservator sold all of their expensive artwork, and everything else that was in the house. They couldn’t account for the money. I believe they pocket most of it. I am so sorry. Call your local three digit number in your state. They are very knowledgeable and they will tell you which people use your car. You can also called APS. This breaks my heart. You can call Lawyer and they will give you some advice on this for free. Something needs to be done. These people are strangers I could care less and they only do it for the money. The court should be ashamed of themselves

Anonymous said...

Absolutely disgraceful! The laws much CHANGE.

Anonymous said...

Why would the law want to make peoples' lives a living hell like this? Yet it happens every day.

Boomers Against Elder Abuse said...

It seems as if this treatment of people with disabilities hasn't changed course in 30 years, no matter how hard advocates try. It's time, isn't it? This kind of life, isolated and alone is worse than hell.