Friday, September 10, 2010

The Awakening

Life is strange. And the more I learn about life and what happens here, the stranger it gets.

[In]February, 2010 I read the Scene article – Court Ordered Hell – How an errant judge and a controlling sibling stripped Nashville rocker Danny Tate of his money, his livelihood and his legal rights. Initially, I couldn’t digest it; I had to read it two, three, four times. I’m STILL reading it. It tracks like a bad Mickey Spillane novel. It’s a horribly intriguing story, one that still leaves me gobsmacked; come on! How can that really happen? In the perfect and balanced world I’d held in my mind and heart, it couldn’t. But the ugly truth began to dawn: life is not what I thought it was. This kind if thing does happen, is happening, to people all over the country every single day.

I communicated with Kevin Montgomery, the friend who shared the article with me, and expressed my outrage.

“There’s a movement afoot for Danny. You need to be our boots on the ground in TN,” he told me. I was a bit knocked back on my heels. Who, me?! Kevin told me about the efforts to help this guy. He said he’d made me an admin on the Danny Tate FB group site.

“Okay,” I said. What have I gotten into?

“You and Danny need to meet.”

“Okay.” I was willing to meet; I was intensely curious. The concept of what had happened to this man haunted my thoughts, showed up in my dreams. How does this kind of thing happen? Who in their right mind would sanction any of this? The answer is, of course, that no ‘right mind’ would, but the Probate Courts are not about ‘right minds.’ At all.

Danny and I met the next week. He walked into the office, sat down, and began to share his story with me. I was overwhelmed by the things he was telling me. I interrupted often, asking questions. He was very patient with me, saying “That’s a great question, Cece.” He’d answer every question, and return to his story of what had transpired the past two-plus years. We talked for over two hours.

Through the next weeks and months we met and talked often. The more we met, the more the trust built, the more Danny shared with me.

At one point Danny told me, “I’m not the only one.” He shared the story of a woman who was being kept as a slave. She’d had a fall, went into a coma, was sent to rehab, and when she came out she discovered her car, house and belongings were gone, and she had been conserved. She’s now forced to work as a maid, house mother, cook, bookkeeper, and practical nurse … all while the courts have declared her “disabled.” And all without pay.

The woman’s name is Ginger.

I’ve since met and spent some quality time with Ginger. She and Danny have both become good friends of mine. They are so dear to me; I love them each so deeply, I cannot imagine life without them in it. It’s not a love based on pity; it’s a higher love … it’s a joining of tender hearts, and it brings tears to my eyes. It’s hard to believe that their horrific experiences are what brought us together, but I must. Because – on the surface - that in fact is what drew us. But it is not what will hold us together. Our faith, our values, and the moral imperative before us … these are what bind us. And, in spite of it all, the laughter we share.

I cannot know what I’ve discovered about the abuse of Danny and Ginger and untold others and not have it change the direction I’m going. So I will do what I can, as long as I can, to affect positive experiences and ultimate emancipation in the lives of those who have been wrongly conserved. If I am honest with myself, and I am, there is no other calling at this point. It’s as simple, and as complicated, as that.

Full Article and Source:
The Awakening

4 comments:

helensniece said...

Yes, life is strange with messasges and signs from above, although many are faced with a challenge, a decision where there is need. Most walk away, very few accept the calling or are willing to take an active role for the long haul. I think Cece is a wonderful person who has accepted her new role in life, speaking for those who refuse to walk away from injustice. Thank you.

Betty said...

This is the way it happens exactly. We have no idea how awful the guardianship trap is until it touches our loved one.

And when it does, all we've been brought up to believe about the justice system vanishes.

Steve said...

Cece, you are a beautiful writer. Thank you very much. And thank you, NASGA.

Holly said...

Thank you Cece for your involvement, your integrity, your willing to stand for the truth even in difficult times.
My mother is one of the victim's nasga tells about. RCD went from her Pennsylvania residence & domicile to visit in Florida with my sister and fell prey to a corrupt guardianship. Three years now and mother is criminally confined in the state of Florida still asking, "what did I do, how can they keep me here." Although my mother is a victim, I feel as stongly as you, this is a "calling" in my life, I am bound, it doesn't matter whose family member it is... it is morally wrong and I will not be silent!
Thank you Cece for your dedication. May God Bless You abundantly!