Friday, April 29, 2011

Aide Accused of Preying on Elderly Widow

A heartless home aide is accused of preying on an elderly widow - turning her Queens apartment into a flophouse and plundering $800,000 to bankroll shopping sprees.

The 85-year-old victim, who is practically bedridden, said her savings were stolen right under her nose by a woman she trusted for seven years.

"She robbed me," Renee Fuld told the Daily News yesterday. "The only thing I could figure out is I gave her money to buy things and she kept it. I'm just sorry I didn't see her taking money. She would lie to me with a straight face."

Fuld said the aide, Jackie Pokuwaah, turned the Forest Hills apartment into a virtual boarding house, moving in at least seven friends and relatives - rent-free.

Pokuwaah, 52, is now locked up on charges of grand larceny and stolen property for the check-writing scheme, which went on for almost three years.

The fleecing ended when Pokuwaah's twice-weekly visits to a TD Bank - often carrying $800 checks with "laundry" written on the memo line - raised red flags with employees, officials said.

"Thank God for the bank," said Fuld, who is in the care of a new aide. "If they hadn't noticed the activity, she would still be roaming around here."

Full Article and Source:
Heartless Home Aide Accused of Swiping $800G From Elderly Queens Widow

6 comments:

StandUp said...

"Heartless" is right. If this is true, she should receive maximum sentence.

Barbara said...

Jackie Pokuwaah sure was living the good life for a while, wasn't she? I hope she goes to jail and spends the rest of her life there.

Norma said...

I am afraid this woman will now be re-victimized; this time by guardianship.

Sue said...

I cannot write what I am thinking, you will reject my comment.

If this is true oak tree justice for the perp and the free loaders who lived for free they knew this was wrong.

$800 for laundry? sure we all have that type of expense.

I am very concerned Renee Fuld will not be turned over to the guardianship racket where it's an everyday event to drain the wards leaving them dependent on Medicaid. That's you and me folks we get the bills.

Thelma said...

Laundry?

Laundering money!

Evan said...

Look at the picture of Renee Fuld - all smiles despite what's happened to her.

She's a treasure.