Tuesday, May 8, 2012

'Against Her Will'

A cautionary tale of elder abuse and the system that perpetuates it. Two years ago, John Wyman's mother, Carol, walked out of a nursing home in Rockford, Illinois. She had been placed there for the convenience of others, not for her own well-being and had suffered mentally, physically and emotionally.

When she ended up at John's home outside of Aspen, Colorado his journey began. Hairdresser by trade, rebel at heart, John took on the challenges of dealing with nursing homes, courts and family members to provide the best possible situation for his mother.

What he experienced woke him up to the inequities and injustices lurking in the systems which have been established to help our older population. He decided to share his story to make us all aware of the catastrophic possibilities that lie in wait if we don't take action to change these systems. A must read for all who may become old.

Available through Amazon

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a good book. I've read it.

Connie said...

We need more books like this out there to expose guardianship abuse.

StandUp said...

Can't wait to read it!

Kirk said...

I'm going to read this. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Betty said...

I applaud anyone who can put these events to paper. We survive, somehow and the pain of what we went through is so hard to revisit. I admire anyone who will go through that agony again to help others.

Sue said...

Against Her Will is the perfect title. Heartfelt appreciation to her son who put forth the effort and sacrifice for this book. Thank You.

jerri said...

national disgrace shame shame shame people need to know who and what is waiting for them i said this before and i say it again i would sooner burn all i own here take my ashes and stuff it choke on it instead of getting ambushed innoncent people who save and sacrifice all their lives if they only knew where its going and it takes the good family down but not out bravo john keep shouting out loud the injustices

Friend said...

With my own mother winding down her days under restrictive guardianship, I don't think I can read Mr. Wyman's book right now. I do, however, admire the fact that he wrote it. As Betty said, some of us just can't do that but the stories should be told.

Thelma said...

Wish I had time to write a book!

helensniece said...

It's been 11 years since our loved one was eliminated by the temporary guardian by withholding food and water from her ward, in my heart in my memories it's as if it happened yesterday.

Our loved one was a good woman she did not deserve the cruel inhumane treatment that was forced on her to hide the crimes.

No forgiveness from this family.

Anonymous said...

Definitely a two-thumbs-up. Perhaps the following website will be of benefit to Mr. Wyman and others in Illinois:

www.probateabusemanual.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the valuable information:

www.probateabusemanual.blogspot.com

Diane said...

I will definitely purchase this book. It does take a lot of time to put a book together and I applaud his efforts. I understand only too well how he and his Mom suffered. We owe it to every victim of abusive guardianship to tell their story to the public. I am telling mine every day....the book will come soon.

Anonymous said...

Why does this happen in America?