Thursday, September 8, 2011

A Heartbreaking Story of Elder Care and Guardian Abuse

As my friend, Diane, continues to put up a noble effort to overcome court decisions that have consistently denied her of her rights, as well as violated her mother, Dorothy’s rights, it became evident that “someone” wanted me to take on a more active role in bringing this situation to light.

For over two years, I witnessed Diane struggle to deal with a judge’s power and ego-driven attitude in making his decisions. His rulings were based on blatant lies by others, testimony and statements that in many cases would be seen as perjury, are what shaped his erroneous opinions of my friend. It is a dangerous precedent to disparage someone for their behavior when you have nothing more than the hearsay of the people you put in control of an elderly woman, and who is financially benefitting from having autonomy over her.

I decided to do more than just give Diane moral support and have made a conscious decision to let other people across the country know about her battle to save her mother from being unwillingly incarcerated in a nursing home.

My assessment of what has been happening came more into focus. Dorothy is being used as a pawn by a judge, law guardian and healthcare manager who all seem to be benefitting from a rift in the family.

Full Article and Source:
A Heartbreaking Story of Elder Care and Abuse

See Also:
A Heartbreaking Story of Elder Care and Guardian Abuse

11 comments:

Mike said...

Thank you for doing another story on the Dorothy Wilson case. It is truly heartbreaking.

Barbara said...

I appreciate this reporter doing a second story and for telling the horror the Wilson family is enduring so eloquently.

Mae Elizabeth said...

Thank you for this article. How we need the media's help in order to tackle the injustice done regarding elder abuse by the judicial system!

Sue said...

Media and press exposing the truth is admirable, knowledge is power. My wish is that more reporters nationwide would take notice of the harm being done and shout out loud the truth about the guardianship industry which is the only way to reform this broken down system.

Anonymous said...

It's a common theme....the violation of the ward's rights and also the family's rights.

jerri said...

stripped of dignity and all their rights family is disregarded shame shame shame what we need is reform throw it all out and start fresh get rid of these embedded power hungry money hungry people who do not care one bit about the human beings innocent persons

Anonymous said...

Why are courts "helping" people instead of letting families help each other?

Norma said...

Praying for you and your mother, Diane....

StandUp said...

Very nice picture too!

I want to thank this reporter for stepping up to the plate and drawing attention to this awful injustice and abuse of Dorothy Wilson.

Diane said...

Thank you all for your support! Every time I walk into Mom's room or speak to her on the phone she asks me "When am I getting out of here? I don't belong here. I want to go home or live with you. Why are they doing this to me?" And then most times she just breaks down in tears. I keep telling her to be strong and not give up and know that I am fighting very hard for her rights as a human being, rights that we all have, rights that NO ONE has the right to take away. I tell her about all of the love and support that is behind her from those people who DO care, and to just continue to pray. I

For Noni Katie said...

Jim - I heard you tonight on Marti Oakley's show and wanted to let you know what difference you have made in my life in just a few hours. I needed a nudge. Thank you. And to Diane, your story is my story and my heart goes out to you. I will keep you and your Mom in my prayers and hope she goes home soon.