Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

It took almost 100 years to reform the nation's health care system. But although the campaign for long-term care reforms also seemed endless at times, it took a relatively short three years to enact Nursing Home Transparency and Improvement, seven to pass the Elder Justice Act, and a dozen to create a national program of criminal background checks on long-term care workers. [T]hey all became law when President Obama signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

Full Article and Source:
Nursing Home Transparency, Elder Justice Act Swept into Law with Health Care Reform Bill

6 comments:

Thelma said...

Well, it's about time people started taking elder abuse more seriously.

Anonymous said...

I think when it comes down to it, tho, these acts won't be funded.

However, I'm with you, Thelma - it's about time.

tvfields said...

Before we applaud the passage of the Elder Justice Act, we need to understand what it does and doesn't do, and why. Let each of us read the Act and determine what difference, if any, it would have made in our own situations.

Betty said...

It does sound like progress at a glance. You're right, TVFields, we will have to see what it really means.

Anonymous said...

The Elder Justice Act has been in force for some time, all it needed, was contunued funding, from what I have read. I have a copy of the Elder Justice Act - and I have found, as in almost all cases I read about, including my own, the laws are in force - what is lacking, is ENFORCEMENT.No agency in Law Enforcement, from the Attorney General down to the local Sheriff, do not want to deal with "Elder Justice". It is better to ignore and go along with business as usual, than to upset the internal system
for an elder's right to justice,under the distant and mostly unknown Elder Justice Act.

Anonymous said...

What good the the Elder Justice Act do? Just anothjer peace of law, which means nothing to individuals, or the State they live in. In my efforts to regain my assets, I have cited statutes from the Elder Justice Act in my court documents,with absolute response, let alone enforcement.