Wednesday, March 12, 2014

7 Years After Son's Death, Local Father Continues Fighting for Those With Disabilities

Michael Carey does not take a day off from advocating for those with disabilities, so Saturday he spoke out on the 7 year anniversary of the death of his son, Jonathan.

Carey says a recent report on the amount of calls made to the New York State Justice Center about abuse and serious incidents against the disabled or mentally ill needs to be addressed and handled better.

Governor Cuomo set up the center in an attempt to battle this major problem.

Seven years ago Jonathan Carey, who was diagnosed with autism , died at the hands of an employee of the Oswald D. Heck Developmental Center, a state facility, in Niskayuna.

Jonathan Carey would have been 20 years old this year.

His father told NEWS10 ABC, "I made a vow in my heart and in my own way I said to Jonathan, ‘Jonathan I will not forget your friends and so I'm not going to,'"

Michael Carey spends each and every day working in his office for the Jonathan Carey foundation.

"People with disabilities are worth it and New York State cannot continue to violate their equal rights, equal protections," Carey said.

Full Article and Source:
7 Years After Son's Death, Local Father Continues Fighting for Those With Disabilities

3 comments:

Thelma said...

God bless you, Mr. Carey.

Rhea said...

My thoughts exactly, Thelma.

Finny said...

My deepest respects to Mr. Carey as well.